ENGLEWOOD — In this “Banner Year” of 2016, when Clayton and Union become 200 years old, and Englewood 175 years, Randolph Township Historical Society (RTHS) has mounted many new exhibits featuring the history of all three cities from early years to current times.
The new displays are housed at the RTHS History Center, 114 Valleyview Drive in Englewood and will open for public viewing on Sunday, April 3 from 2 to 4 p.m.
Sharalyn Smith (see photo), will be on hand at the grand-opening to talk about her mother’s masterpiece quilt. Smith’s mother, Imogene Edwards Durr, designed and finished the quilt in 1990-1991. The quilt will be on display through October 2016 at the RTHS History Center and becomes a permanent part of the Historical Society’s collections.
A special display of Henry Sheets rifles made in Union in the 1850s also can be seen that day. Newly discovered historic photos, artifacts from pioneer days, information on traction lines and trains, farm and community life to urban living, plus the changeover from Randolph Schools to the Northmont era are highlighted in exhibits throughout the museum.
New visitors hours are from 2-4 p.m. on the first and third Sunday afternoons of each month. Admission is free and parking is available in front of the building and in lots across the street. Light refreshments will be served at the opening.
An original 2016 commemorative keepsake calendar, “A Banner Year” published by RTHS can be purchased for $12 each to help support the Society. The museum also is open at other times by appointment (especially for larger groups) by calling 832-1858.