UNION — It is always a challenge to determine the story behind vintage photographs that have no photographer’s name, date, or information on them.
Such is the case with this circa 1870-1880 photograph that appears to show a local blacksmith holding an unusual shaped mallet and wearing leather chaps and boots. The blacksmith shop sits beside a well-traveled street with a steep hill behind it.
One of the broadsides on the building reads “Union, Ohio,” and the other two identical ones begin with the word “STOP.” It is impossible to make out any other words on the three posters.
Randolph Township Historical Society member Steve Wick brought the photograph to the History Center along with several others that came down through his Heck and Hoover families. Most were unmarked.
If anyone has any ideas on the location of this building, or can identify people shown in the photo, please contact the historical society at 832-1858.
RTHS is always interested in preserving local historic memorabilia and early photos. If you have items of local historic interest to share, please call us.
The Randolph Township Historical Society History Center is located at 114 Valleyview Drive in Englewood. Phone (937) 832-1858.