COLUMBUS — Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted has announced the Ohio Business Profile program will feature women-owned businesses throughout the month of March.
On average, more than 16 new women-owned businesses start each day in Ohio. Ohio ranks 8th in the nation for the number of businesses owned by women with more than 300,000.
According to the National Association of Women-Owned Businesses (NAWBO), Ohio’s women-owned businesses generate over $43 billion in sales each year.
“Female entrepreneurs are leading our state in healthcare, education, construction and so many other important industries,” Secretary Husted said. “As the father of two bright young women, it is important to me that my daughters see these successful role models and know that their futures in Ohio and in America are very bright.”
Companies profiled this month include:
• MJP Trucking, LLC (Brunswick, Ohio) is a construction-based trucking company in Northeast Ohio focused on providing professional and timely service.
• Paper Trails of Rocky River (Rocky River, Oho) is a specialty paper boutique with an extensive selection of unique merchandise. Their top products include wedding invitations, greeting cards and personalized stationery.
• Cleveland City Dance (Cleveland, Ohio) was started in 1965 and offers a wide variety of dance classes for ages three to 78. Through disciplined focus and training, dancers are taught skills to be successful and motivated in every area of their lives.
• Sweet Designs Chocolatier (Lakewood, Ohio) has been making and selling over 80 styles of gourmet, European-style chocolates in Northeast Ohio for over 20 years.
• Gross Electric (Toledo, Ohio) was started in 1910 and is the oldest independent, family-owned lighting and electrical supply distributor in the area. With 72 employees, they are able to provide electrical products to commercial, institutional and residential markets.
• Warnick Consultants, LLC (Powell, Ohio) offers bookkeeping services with the goal of taking the administration of your business off your plate so staff can focus on what they love most about your business and the services you provide.
• Patty Beery’s Energy Arts (Marysville, Ohio) has provided performing arts training to students of all ages and abilities since opening in 1990. They are dedicated to not only teaching students how to dance, but also witnessing them develop mentally, physically, emotionally and artistically.
• Your Management Team, Inc. (Westerville, Ohio) provides micro-business consulting and business development training for entrepreneurs wanting to grow their company.
From 2010 to 2016, Ohio saw a 30.1 percent increase in the number of newly-registered businesses with 2016 being the seventh-consecutive record-breaking year for new businesses in the state.
Since taking office in 2011, Secretary Husted has made it a priority to offer better services to Ohio entrepreneurs and businesses at a lower cost. In 2013, he launched the Ohio Business Central, which allows businesses to be created online with a significantly quicker turnaround time. This efficiency allowed the state to cut the fees associated with starting a new business by 21 percent in 2015. That same year, Secretary Husted began a partnership with Google’s “Let’s Put Our Cities on the Map” program making it easy for new businesses to access free tools to help them get off the ground.
Ohio Business Profile was launched in 2011 making people aware of Ohio companies that are creating interesting products, offering outstanding service, contributing to their local communities and employing Ohioans in the process. Each month, a handful of diverse businesses linked together by a common theme are featured on the Secretary of State’s website, where Ohioans are encouraged to submit companies they feel are deserving of recognition in future months.
Reach Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted’s office at (877) 767-6446.