SAN DIEGO, CA — Miami Valley Career Technology Center (MVCTC) Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) students joined more than 8,500 other FCCLA student leaders, members, and advisers at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, CA July 3-7 to participate in the annual FCCLA National Leadership Conference (NLC).
The conference provided FCCLA students opportunities come together for energizing learning while listening to inspiring speakers, expanding leadership skills, sharpening talents, and exploring career pathways. The theme of this year’s conference was “Empowered”, which inspired attendees to make the right choices and commit themselves to making a positive impact within their families, schools, FCCLA, and communities.
“Our National Leadership Conference was a great success this year, with a record-setting attendance of over 8,500 members, advisers, partners and guests. During the past week, we’ve watched thousands of students come together and realize their full potential through competition, career training, and workshops. The relationships developed and training experienced during this conference have empowered students to go into their schools and communities and make a difference, bringing with them the values and passions FCCLA brings to our members,” said Sandy Spavone, executive director of Family, Career and Community Leaders of America.
MVCTC students winning awards at the national competition include:
• Dalton Noland (Culinary Arts student from Eaton) – Gold Career Investigation event
• Madison Whitney Schaale (Culinary Arts student from Miamisburg) – Gold Entrepreneurship event
• Levi Schidecker (Early Childhood Education student from Vandalia-Butler) and Lydia Russell (Early Childhood Education student from Valley View) – Gold Chapter Service Project Display event
• Sarah Sheranko (Early Childhood Education student from Tippecanoe) and Kristen Timmons (Early Childhood Education student from Northmont) – Gold Illustrated Talk event
• Abigail Adkins (Early Childhood Education student from Eaton) and Kylah Colbert (Early Childhood Education student from Wayne) – Gold National Programs in Action event
• Alexis Bellomy (Early Childhood Education student from Wayne) and Aaliyah Briner (Early Childhood Education student from Ansonia) – Gold Life Event Planning event
• Mariah Barber (Early Childhood Education student from Preble-Shawnee) and Sarah Pence (Early Childhood Education student from Northridge) – Silver Chapter in Review Portfolio event
• Jacob Jenkins (Culinary Arts student from Eaton) – Silver Applied Math for Culinary Management event
Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA), is a dynamic and effective national student organization that helps young men and women become leaders and address important personal, family, work, and societal issues through Family and Consumer Sciences education. FCCLA has 200,000 members and more than 5,500 chapters from 49 state associations, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. The organization has involved more than ten million youth since its founding in 1945.
FCCLA: The Ultimate Leadership Experience is unique among youth organizations because its programs are planned and run by members. It is the only career and technical in-school student organization with the family as its central focus. Participation in national programs and chapter activities helps members become strong leaders in their families, careers, and communities.
For more information about MVCTC, please visit www.mvctc.com.