ENGLEWOOD — The Miami Valley Career Technology Center held its first official Business Professionals of America (BPA) chapter meeting on September 22, 2015. The meeting included the pinning of the new officers, the induction of the new junior members, and a speech from local philanthropist Luke Westerman.
The new BPA chapter officers for the 2015-2016 school year are:
• President – Eliza Wallace (Medical Office Management) Miamisburg
• Vice President – Jordan Puckett (Game Programming & Web Applications) Eaton
• Secretary – Kenzi Gordon (Medical Office Management) Valley View
• Treasurer – Alysen Baddeley (Medical Office Management) Milton-Union
• Public Relations – Evan Florkey (Computer Repair & Technical Support) Greenville
• Parliamentarian – Maria Coyle (GIS) Arcanum
• Historian – Yvonne Barga (Medical Office Management) Arcanum
• Video Crew – Anchor/Story Writer – Abbey Michel (Medical Office Management) Northmont
• Video Crew – Anchor/Story Writer – Carrie McRorie (Medical Office Management) Northmont
• Video Crew – Director/Editor – Michael Putt (Media and Video Production) Carlisle
• Video Crew – Editor/Story Writer – Autumn-Rain Dell (Media and Video Production) Bethel
The new officers were elected last school year and were pinned at the recent BPA meeting by MVCTC’s Business, Information, and Technology Supervisor, Mr. David Peltz. All eleven members make up the chapter’s cabinet, and each member has his or her own responsibilities and roles for the chapter’s meetings.
The first meeting’s main event was a speech on business and entrepreneurship from CEO and modern Renaissance man Luke Westerman. Luke grew up in Brookville, Ohio, and is the founder and CEO of Columbus, Ohio, based venture capital firm Solomon Global holdings. Westerman shared tips on being successful in the small business world as well as telling students about the ample opportunities and challenges that face entrepreneurs and small business owners today.
The BPA chapter’s plans for the coming year include five more great meetings, celebrating Career & Technical Student Organization week, chapter members representing MVCTC as BPA Region 3 Officers, and competing in local, regional, state and national BPA Competitions.
Business Professionals of America is the leading CTSO (Career and Technical Student Organization) for students pursuing careers in business management, office administration, information technology and other related career fields.
BPA has 43,000 members in over 2,300 chapters in 23 states. BPA is a co-curricular organization that supports business and information technology educators by offering co-curricular exercises based on national standards.
For more information about MVCTC, visit www.mvctc.com or follow MVCTC on Facebook (Facebook.com/MVCTC) or Twitter (Twitter.com/MVCTC). For more information about BPA, visit www.bpa.org, and for more information about Luke Westerman visit, http://lukewesterman.com.