ENGLEWOOD — For years, Randolph Township signs greeted motorists on Routes 48 and 49 and on Diamond Mill and Westbrook roads. The first non-Native American residents were Quakers from Randolph County, North Carolina, seeking to live without slavery, and by 1804 the area had enough residents to incorporate.
In 1997, township officials became fed up with land being annexed and formed a Merger Commission. Voters in Randolph Township and the Village of Clayton agreed to merge as the City of Clayton. The December 1997 issue of the Randolph Township newsletter invited the residents to the inauguration of the new city on Jan. 4, 1998. After 194 years, Randolph Township as a political entity ceased to exist (although the geographical township still exists on land deeds and surveys).
Two months earlier, the Randolph Township Historical Preservation Committee had met in an effort to preserve the records of Randolph Township. In January, members of this group formed the Randolph Township Historical Society.
On July 10, Steve Woolf, president of the Clay Township board of trustees and a member of the Ohio Township Association board of directors, will address the RTHS on the history of Randolph Township and on township government. The talk, at the History Center, 114 Valleyview Dr., Englewood, will begin about 7:20 p.m. (after a short RTHS business meeting) and is free. There will be refreshments afterward, and memorabilia from Randolph Township on display will include reproductions of early maps showing locations of early residents’ property.
The public is always welcome at the RTHS meetings at the History Center on the second Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m. April through October and 1 p.m. November through April. In addition, the History Center is open from 2 to 4 p.m. on two Sundays a month from April through November and by appointment at other times. (The usual schedule of being open the first and third Sundays can be altered due to holidays, so call 832-1858 to check.)