Fire destroys Englewood Indoor Soccer


By Ron Nunnari

Rnunnari@AimMediaMidwest.com

ENGLEWOOD — A lightning strike during the overnight hours Tuesday is suspected of causing a blaze at Englewood Indoor Soccer located in the 500 block East Wegner Rd.

The building burned to the ground and caused an estimated $1 million in damage, according to Englewood fire Chief Bud Bergman.

According to fire officials the building was burning for two or three hours before fire crews were dispatched at 5:45 a.m. and the building was fully engulfed in flames when crews arrived. Englewood received mutual aid assistance from Brookville, Clayton and Union fire departments.

“When we pulled up the fire was through the roof and the building was falling to the ground. The building was made of metal so it had to have been burning for quite a while,” Bergman stated.

Bergman said nearby residents heard a loud “boom” which they thought was from an explosion inside the building, but was most likely a grill tank or tire that burst as a result of the fire.

.neFileBlock {
margin-bottom: 20px;
}
.neFileBlock p {
margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
}
.neFileBlock .neFile {
border-bottom: 1px dotted #aaa;
padding-bottom: 5px;
padding-top: 10px;
}
.neFileBlock .neCaption {
font-size: 85%;
}

http://www.englewoodindependent.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/26/2017/09/web1_EngIndoorSoccer_WEB.jpg

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU


7:25 pm
Updated: 7:27 pm. |    
Homes to be demolished
9:17 pm |    
More flooding plagues Union