CLAYTON — This photo, probably taken in the late 1920s or early 1930s, shows the large dairy barn and delivery truck belonging to Webster Howard Fox who owned Crown Hill Dairy Farm on the north side of today’s Fox Road about a half mile west of Haber Road.
The house and barn still stand at 9581 Fox Road. Census records suggest the dairy farm was in operation for about ten years, until larger operations probably forced them out of business by 1940. Other photos shared with the Historical Society by Theresa and Mike Greer show that Fox had his own electric milking machine, power washed and sterilized his own embossed glass milk bottles on site, and delivered his milk to customers and local stores in his own truck.
Undoubtedly the dairy was a family operation with wife Della Mae (Brumbaugh) Fox, son Carl W. and daughters Elizabeth W. and Rachel E. helping with chores as necessary since no hired hand lived with the family. Other dairies also operated in Randolph Township during this time period including the Studebaker Dairy and Finch Farm.
A display of milk and cream bottles from several of these local dairies can be seen at the RTHS History Center as part of the new displays set up for 2016 to celebrate the anniversaries of the founding of Clayton and Union (200 years), and Englewood (175 years). Watch for an announcement of the grand opening of the museum’s exhibit season next month.
In the meantime, copies of the Society’s commemorative history photo calendar, ‘A Banner Year,’ can be picked up at the Center from 1-4 p.m. any Saturday afternoon in March for $12 or mail-ordered for $14.50 using the form on the Society’s website at www.rths.org. Call 832-1858 for more information.
Reach the Randolph Township Historical Society at (937) 832-1858.