DAYTON — The average person takes as much as 8,000 – 10,000 steps a day, which makes your feet one of the most used body parts. With all that movement, your feet need lots of care. Foot pain is very common and to help find relief, your Better Business Bureau offers tips for a foot doctor, also known as a podiatrist.
Podiatrists diagnose and treat conditions of the foot, ankle and other related structures of the leg. They can specialize in many fields, such as sports medicine, surgery, wound care, pediatrics (children) and diabetic care.
Over the last year, your BBB recorded more than 22,000 inquiries about podiatrists. Locally, about 200 inquiries were filed with your BBB about podiatrists.
When looking for a trustworthy podiatrist, your BBB offers these tips:
• Get recommendations from friends, family and your doctor.
• Shop around and compare. Consider reputation, years of service and services provided, as well as cost.
• Check to see if the office accepts your insurance and what it covers.
• Find out if the podiatrist is a member of an association like the American Podiatric Medical Association.
• Consider location. Be sure doctor’s office is convenient to work or home. Also, check hours of operation, appointment policies and emergency policies.
• Ask about appointments. For example, how long in between visits and what is the average waiting time before appointments.
• Make sure the podiatrist is licensed, carries appropriate insurance and meets local and state requirements. Also, ask if he or she is board qualified or certified.
• Ask about his or her hospital affiliations and experience in treating your particular problem.
• Determine if the visit and exam was thorough. If you feel the podiatrist was rushed or rushed you through the visit, maybe you need to find another foot doctor.
• Make sure you feel comfortable with the podiatrist. If you don’t like him or her, you’ll be less likely to schedule your next checkup.
• Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to inquire about something you don’t understand.
Remember, if you have any questions regarding podiatrists, you can always get help from your BBB, such as a list of BBB Accredited ones and Business Reviews on ones you’re considering.
For more information, visit www.bbb.org or call (937) 222-5825 or (800) 776-5301.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU