ENGLEWOOD — Richard (Dick) Lotton Oldham (born Aug. 24, 1916) was a well-known country lawyer in the Englewood area for many years.
He and his wife Jane and son David lived at 3598 Sweet Potato Ridge Road where this sign was purchased in 1995 at the Jane Oldham auction by Sue Cummings and Glynn Marsh who have donated it to the Randolph Township Historical Society.
Dick’s father, Robert Oldham had practiced law in Shelby County, Ohio. Son Richard was born in Shelby County but by the time Dick was three the family was living at a house on the Covington Pike near Six-Mile House run by Tony Volk (north of today’ s Westbrook Road). Robert’s law office may have been in the house at that time. In later years, both Robert and his son Dick shared law offices in the Reibold Building in Dayton.
Dick’s father died on April 20, 1977. By that time the office had moved to Englewood. This sign may have hung outside Dick Oldham’s law office in Englewood when it was located in the Christian Herr house in the 1970s-1980s. The house was demolished and the site is now occupied by Burger King. Another story was that Dick made the sign to encourage his son David to become a lawyer (but he liked farming the homestead better).
Dick Oldham was known for his easy going style and fair legal fees. If a client could not pay in cash, Dick would consider other tender such as farmland or antiques. Because of that approach, this made Jane Oldham’s auction an interesting affair.